Tuesday, 7 October 2014

FM40 Style - Puffer Coats?

 
Coat, Moncler / Jeans, Topshop / Boots, R&B / Bag, Mulberry
 
Yes, I have indulged in buying another wish list item, a Moncler puffer jacket that I discussed my lust for here , with some savings and birthday money from Hubby.
 
The puffer coat is the ultimate frenemy of any winter wardrobe. On the one hand, nothing keeps you quite as warm when you’re facing the cold, but on the other, an extra layer of bulk is the last thing anyone wants to add and they are just hard to make look, well, sophisticated. So instead of sticking with your basic black, supposedly slimming version this season, don't be afraid to zip up in puffer colour, such as metallic greys or muted mole colours.
 
There are a few tricks and tips you should also keep in mind when picking out a puffer. First, look for flattering quilting which is less bulky. If it's really chilly, wear a lightweight down vest underneath your go-to jacket, such as, UNIQLO ULTRA LIGHT COMPACT JACKET £39.90 . Which can be very snugly and stylish, especially when you choose colour contrast hue  (Susie So So, does this really well here.) Finally, it's all in the details, pay attention to features like angled zipped pockets and strategically placed seams which often have a slimming effect, like my off central zip on my Moncler jacket.

Also, a belt can often give puffy coats shape, Emmanuelle Alt incorporates this styling trick onto her oversized Isabel Marant puffer. 


 
My picks



 
 
 
 


Are you a fan of the puffer coat?

Annmarie xx

16 comments:

  1. Ooh lovely and so wise to pick a colour other than the norm and if you are going to spend the money on a piece like this - you want it to say something don't you? My niece took a friend shopping for a Moncler and it dispelled all the thoughts I had of puffy unflattering down jackets/coats that I had. Some of the styles are really chic.

    Thank you for the lovely mention. I have just pulled out my Uniqlo down jacket out for the colder mornings. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am happy with the colour. I was going to go for typical black but thought against it. You are welcome Sue, I just loved how you styled that Uniqlo jacket last year and I would love one myself in dark grey to put under my old grey Massimo Dutti jacket that's not the warmest. Xx

      Delete
  2. You look gorgeous in your new coat Annemarie, I've never found one I feel comfortable in - think Michelin Man but maybe I need to re-visit this trend this autumn?!!
    Jane xxx
    www.mymidlifefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelin man, you, never. I think you just have to find the correct shape for your build and they can look fab. X

      Delete
  3. Love love the colour on you, very chic. I have a belted one from Zara that is so warm, I was always really against a puffa but could not be without it now that I live by the coast. Luckily it's not cold enough for mine yet!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I nearly got the black or navy but thought I would go for something different. They are that total frenemy like I said .... I like to be warm
      Abbi so they will always be in my wardrobe. Xx

      Delete
  4. I've always though Moncler do the puffer really well. They never seem to make me look too big. I am the sad person that visis the Moncler shop in Puerto Banus to see what new styles have been delivered. And, they're always cheaper there too which seems unfair given we need them. Yet to buy but hubby has offered. Love yours and I'm a tad (very) envious. Enjoy wearing it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is where I fell in love with them I n June in 80 degree heat. They just seamed really fitted and neat and I liked that. I searched and searched for this coat to get the best price and it actually came from Farfetch.com from a boutique in Spain euro to the pound it was £120 cheaper than Selfridges. X

      Delete
  5. Fabulous - it looks stunning - Moncler have just opened a store here in Atlanta - I better investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better had .... I fell in love with them when I tried one on in summer. X

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous new coat Annmarie! It's the chicest puffer I have ever seen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, I keep looking at those Uniqlo ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love puffa's despite my size I need to be warm and always had one for the school run. I have a brand new one I found in my wardrobe I had forgotten I bought in the summer sale ready for winter! My Claudia had an interview at Farfetch the other week but never got the job - the bastards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing coat...so stylish & flattering, which is usually a hard thing to say about this style of coat! A great investment piece too, you'll be wearing it for many winters to come I'm sure. I've got the Boden Stockholm coat from last year, which is quite long but belted so it's not too michelin man, but I've been looking at the Uniqlo shorter ones having heard such great things about them. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous on you! I have a longer, brown down filled puffs which I wear in the depths of winter. Not as stylish as yours but oh so cosy! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your jacket, it really suits you. i should invest in something like that as up here the wind cuts right through me. i have joked on the school run that i am tempted to go there in a hooded sleeping bag with holes in the bottom for my feet x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pinterest